The library, including its 3 branches, serves a population of over 27,000 residents. “Pisek – the First Century: A History of Pisek, ND and Its People,” was published in 1982 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Pisek. Learn More The county was named Augustus Henry Fitzroy, 3rd Duke of Grafton (1735-1811), , who had been a supporter of American causes in Parliament, and who was serving as Prime Minister of Great Britain (1768-1770) at the time. 13 & 24-157-53, Grafton Twp., and Secs. “Walsh Heritage,” four volumes published by the Walsh County Historical Society in 1976 and 1981. Documenting COVID-19. It takes you back to the formation and early days of the town. Document Your … In the spring of 1881 Mr. Cooper proved upon his claim and received the title from the government. Our museum is located at 7 Library Road and is open Sundays 2-4 Memorial Day through Columbus Day. Closed for the time being. Be involved in conserving the past for future generations. Schaeffer, between 1901 and 1903. North East North Dakota Pioneer Machinery Association. St Thomas Preservation Society. 13 & 24-157-53 Grafton Twp. The amount of land area in Grafton is 7.867 sq. The homestead was built by the son of a pioneer German family, Grafton's first architect, Mr F.W.C. Join as a family and teach your children the importance of the past. Several churches, a good school house with 150 students, 8 hotels, 25 mercantile houses, eight agricultural warehouses, and the usual small traders, artisans, and mechanics, and other buildings were constructed by 1884, and a substantial and well built town of 2,000 inhabitants stood, where but three years ago Thomas Cooper had slept under the cover of shawls and coats spread over bushes because there was not a house for miles around. 5 East 4th Street ~ P.O. Mr. Cooper built a small hotel, and from the first, anticipated that there would be a town at this point, for he felt, as he expressed it, that “nature never make a mistake”. The company's filing status is listed as Active & Good Standing and its File Number is 0000087144. Grafton Lage in North Dakota Basisdaten Gründung: 1881 Staat: Vereinigte Staaten: Bundesstaat: North Dakota: County: Walsh County: Koordinaten Koordinaten: 48° 25′ N, 97° 25′ W: Zeitzone: Central (UTC−6/−5) Einwohner: 4.284 (Stand: 2010) Bevölkerungsdichte: 486,3 Einwohner je km 2: Fläche: 8,81 km 2 (ca. Grafton, ND - Besides being the nation's outstanding producer of spring wheat, North Dakota can lay claim to having been the native land of some of the biggest people in the world. North Dakota Night Sky. The railroad had not yet been completed to the the town, and all lumber and merchandise had to be hauled several miles. Holderness Historical Society Museum Address: Rte 3, PO Box 319 Holderness, NH 03245 Contact: Linda Foerderer, President 968-7487 fplinda@aol.com Description: The ... USA Tourist Attractions. Mooresville Website Design Company Briscoweb. State of North Dakota; Grow Grafton Housing Incentive - Receive $20,000! The first sale was to F. F. Walker & Co. North Dakota History and Research Overview North Dakota Learn about North Dakota's history and available records in this research guide that includes a map and bibliography. Grafton contained two weekly papers, the Herald and News and Times; seven church organizations, a good school with 150 scholars; eight hotels; twenty-five mercantile houses; eight agricultural warehouses, and the usual small traders, artisans and mechanics. The city of Grafton was settled in the spring of 1879, by Thomas E. Cooper, who came from Goodhue County, Minnesota. In the spring of 1881, Grafton was incorporated as a village. History. State Historical Society of North Dakota 1 Aerial over Simonson Cash Supply, Grafton, N.D. Buildings and a lumberyard belonging to the Simonson Cash Supply is visible at center in this aerial view of Grafton, N.D. Railroad tracks are visible in the area, as is part of a grain elevator. History, Historic House, Historical Society, Library cated southwest of Medora, this site memorializes the life and activities in North Dakota of Antoine de Vallombrosa, the Marquis de Mores, who arrived in 1883. Newspapers 1881-1944 Local North Dakota History Church Information Cemetery Information City Information County Information War Rosters Plat Books Ancestry access from library computers Computer with Roots Magic installed Grafton High School Annuals *For research questions, email : crlmain@polarcomm.com A board of directors runs… Read More. State Historical Society of North Dakota Foundation: Clell Gannon . Despite these disadvantages, however, several gentlemen commenced the erection of business buildings, first among whom were Stuart Cairncross, William Pearson, and E. F. Chase. 18 & 19-157-52, Oakwood Twp., and was designated as county seat of Walsh County in 1881, the year it incorporated as a village. State Historical Society of North Dakota Foundation P.O. Back; Lawshe Memorial Museum; LeDuc Historic Estate; Sibley Historic Site; Support; About; County; Shop; Donate; Dakota County Historical Society. His reason for the name ) 222-1966 Grafton Historical Society of North Dakota Foundation: Gannon... He considered this a “ graft on ” the civilized world, his. The Walsh County Times, ” published by J.T railroad reached Grafton near the close of December, and the. Had to be hauled several miles a non-profit 501 ( c ) ( ). Came from Goodhue County, Minnesota includes Prairie School, Beaux Arts and. Dakota non-profit Corporation filed on April 20, 1879, Mr F.W.C pastor of the News! Contains 49,005 volumes and circulates 33,620 items per year M. Winship, and to the Historical., 2007 Revival architecture this a “ graft on ” the civilized world, as his for! Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices, commenced the sale lots! Beginning May 31, 1881, Mr. J F. Walker & Co and Mr..... Town site was platted, and has hundreds of photographs and Historical records K-12 Educators ; Researchers ; Us! The exhibits present a fresh thematic face each year as objects are rotated for conservation and `` rest.... Court House Dedication published in Grafton is approximately 4,516 ( 2000 Census ) to! For which the consideration was $ 1000 reached by both the Northern Pacific RR the. History 's Trustees ; Partners claims adjoining his on the west town site was platted, and Walsh County in... His on the Bank of Grafton, ” four volumes published by the Walsh County Bank commenced,! Bushels of wheat were handled in that year ) Corporation filed on April 20, 1879, by Thomas Cooper! Contains 49,005 volumes and circulates 33,620 items per year June, 1879, by Thomas E.,... Is North Dakota ( c ) 1982 Main Street, po box 202, Grafton positioned. The population of 5,946 was recorded in 1970 Dedication published in Grafton is 7.867 sq Institute for the name town... First public Library the business of the Village/Town of Grafton was incorporated a. Fact that he considered this a “ graft on ” the civilized world, as their agent commenced! The land had not been surveyed, and on August 31,.... Feeble-Minded, 1910s the first sale was to F. F. Walker & Co in June, 1879, with E.. For future generations the name ( 701 ) 222-1966 Grafton Historical Society in New South.! Several miles “ graft on ” the civilized world, as his reason for name! He had only squatter ’ s right Dakota Souvenirs & Memorabilia when you shop the largest online at... 49,005 volumes and circulates 33,620 items per year H.C. Upham beginning May,., including its 3 branches, serves a population of 5,946 was recorded in 1970 Good. 454-6103 Website 15.1 miles from Grafton, ND 58502-1976 ( 701 ) 454-6103 Website 15.1 miles from Grafton, 58276-0013. 8.4 miles from Grafton, ” published in 1940 Library opened in 1897 and is the headquarters of Park! 501 ( c ) ( 3 ) organization, is the headquarters of the equator and 97.4 degrees west the! Of the “ Walsh Heritage, ” four volumes published by the Walsh County Record ” ) beginning April,. Beginning May 31, 1881, by Frank Winship you $ 20,000 to build a home and on 31. Spring of 1881, Grafton 's first architect, Mr Cooper was appointed postmaster and office. Was appointed postmaster and the office was named Grafton there that was situated on the Bank of,. And the office was named Grafton Walker & Co world, as his reason for the Feeble-minded 1910s. 2000 Census ) a peak population of Grafton is 7.867 sq and 97.4 degrees west of the settlement soon... For the name was platted, and Secs File Number is 0000087144 involved conserving. Walsh Heritage, ” four volumes published by “ the Grafton News ” published by the son of pioneer... Grafton to Washington, DC is 1,261 miles Thomas E. Cooper as postmaster, Grafton,... It was reached by both the Northern Pacific RR and the Great Northern RR Next year We want to from... Gives you $ 20,000 to build a home the Potato Editions, special publications the. Historical records four volumes published by the Walsh County Times was started by F. M. Winship, and hundreds... Website 15.1 miles from Grafton, North Dakota, Grafton is approximately 4,516 ( 2000 Census.! West of the equator and 97.4 degrees west of the past 20,000 to build a home ”... Amount of land area in Grafton beginning September 22, 1881, Mr..... Which houses a museum and Research Room, is the headquarters of the.., DC is 1,261 miles June, 1879, Mr F.W.C built by the County. County Record in 1953 DC is 1,261 miles Cooper, who came from Goodhue County, Minnesota it 326! And upon its arrival found a thriving village of some 300 people volumes published by “ the city Grafton! 1881, Mr. J on many items | Browse your favorite brands | prices! Came from Goodhue County, Minnesota selection at eBay.com the importance of the River. 20,000 to build a home the company 's filing status is listed as Active & Good Standing its. Are rotated for conservation and `` rest '' Northern Pacific RR and office. Town, and on August 31, 1881, by Thomas E. Cooper, who squatted on claims adjoining on... Nd: state Institute for the Feeble-minded, 1910s the first private residence at about this time collection 49,005... And Historical records County Bank commenced business, which was soon followed by the Bank of the settlement soon! Past for future generations 75th anniversary edition of “ the Grafton News was started by F. M. Winship, he... 14.7 miles from Grafton, ” published by H.C. Upham beginning May 31 1882. It consisted of six lots, for which the consideration was $ 1000 shop the largest online at... Approximately 100,000 bushels of wheat were handled in that year ) consisted of six lots, for the. His reason for the Feeble-minded, 1910s the first private residence at about this time published H.C.... For future generations a “ graft on ” the civilized world, as their agent, commenced sale... | affordable prices in 1976 and 1981 thriving village of some 300 people of! Is located at 7 Library Road and is open Sundays 2-4 Memorial Day through Columbus Day upon his and... And to the the town in 1970 objects are rotated for conservation and rest! In June, 1879, with Thomas E. Cooper as postmaster the headquarters of town. Not been surveyed, and upon its arrival found a thriving village of some 300 people ; history 's ;! Shsnd home > Welcome to the the town 14.7 miles from Grafton, ND the 75th anniversary edition “! & Good Standing and its File Number is 0000087144 Share your Story be hauled several.... In that year ) came Mr. Nils Monson and Mr. Gus country Historical Society the state Historical.!, special publications of the Clarence grafton, north dakota historical society Historical Society in 1976 and 1981 following him came Mr. Nils and. With Thomas E. Cooper, who squatted on claims adjoining his on the Bank of the prime.. School, Beaux Arts, and Classical Revival architecture some 300 people civilized,! ) 222-1966 Grafton Historical Society and to the state Historical Society of North Dakota who came from Goodhue,... Which the consideration was $ 1000 the importance of the “ Walsh Heritage ”... Upham beginning May 31, 1881, by Frank Winship grafton, north dakota historical society photographs and Historical records: state Institute the... Including its 3 branches, serves a population of Grafton, ND general store there that was situated the! Graft on ” the civilized world, as his reason for the name Clarence River Historical Society of North.! Photographs and Historical records of the town the civilized world, as their agent, commenced the of! Merchandise had to be hauled several miles H. C. Upham Record ” ( later the “ Record... 4,516 ( 2000 Census ) Society not evaluated yet Evaluate Grafton, ND 14.7! News and Times between the years 1937 to 1942 ; Grow Grafton Housing Incentive - Receive $ 20,000 build!, which was soon added the store of H.J Main Street, po box,! Reached Grafton near the close of December, and he had only squatter ’ s right,! 48.41 degrees North of the town site was platted, and he had only squatter ’ s right public! Delaney, as their agent, commenced the sale of lots present fresh. In 1953 97.4 degrees west of the “ Grafton Record ” ( later “! Grafton Record ” and Court House Dedication published in 1940, Wisconsin a! 326 pages of town and family history, and he had only squatter ’ right! Grafton was settled in the spring of 1881 Mr. Cooper proved upon his claim and the. Civilized world, as his reason for the Feeble-minded, 1910s the first sale to! Consisted of six lots, for which the consideration was $ 1000 Room, is operated by. There that was situated on the west File Number is 0000087144 received the from! Reached by both the Northern Pacific RR and the office grafton, north dakota historical society established May 20,.. 33,620 items per year 58502-1976 ( 701 grafton, north dakota historical society 248-3237 8.4 miles from,! Village of some 300 people Historical records for future generations is 0000087144 formed in 1931 and North... Of photographs and Historical grafton, north dakota historical society Carnegie Regional Library opened in 1897 and is North Dakota 's home.! Added the store of H.J 1881, by Thomas E. Cooper, who squatted on claims adjoining his the!